|Channa Dal||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Dry Red Chillies||1|
|Fresh Fenugreek Leaves||1.5 cups|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Tamarind||1 small lemon sized ball|
|Toor Dal||1/2 cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Red Chili powder||1/2 tsp|
|Urad Dal||1/2 tsp|
- Rinse the Toor dal and cook it in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and 1 to 2 cups of water.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes. Then squeeze it and remove the solids. Keep only the tamarind water aside,
- Wash and chop the fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, channa dal and urad dal and let the mustard pop.
- Now add the slit green chilies, red chilies and hing and mix for 10 seconds.
- Then add cubed onion and fry until onion turns pink and gets cooked.
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle little water and cover with a lid.
- Let the leaves cook completely. When they wilt off, add boiled toor dal, tamarind water, salt, red chilli powder and little water and mix.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes in a medium or low flame and the dal is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Dal can also be drunk as Lentil soup on its own without any accompaniments and tastes awesome.
- If you don't have fresh fenugreek leaves use frozen one but do not use dry methi.