Puttu, Kerala's favorite breakfast dish is a steamed rice cake made with white rice or brown rice. This is our twist to the traditional puttu by adding to it a pop of color and making it more eye candy.
The recipe was inspired by our friend Vidya Mathew.. Thank you for the wonderful idea!
3 cup rice flour
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup beetroot juice
1/4 cup spicy curry
1 cup coconut, freshly grated
- Prep the Puttu flour: Take rice flour and salt in a bowl and mix it with water to form a crumbly mixture. Ensure you add the water with a spoon in small servings. Remember we don't want to make a dough, we are aiming only for a crumbly texture without any lumps. Once the base mixture is ready, divide it equally into 3 parts in separate bowls.
- White Puttu: Leave the first part as is and do not add anything to it.
- Pink Puttu: Drizzle beetroot juice and some powdered sugar to the second part and mix till you receive a light pink color to the mixture.
- Yellow / Brown Puttu: Take only the liquid from your well seasoned gravy that you have made to enjoy with the puttu and mix it with the third part of the puttu mixture.
- Prep the Puttu maker: Once you have all the 3 mixtures ready, heat water in a pressure cooker and do not add the whistle. In the Puttu maker, first add 3 tsp of grated coconut followed by a layer of 3 heaped tablespoons of the brown puttu mixture, then layer with grated coconut, followed by 3 tbsps of Pink Puttu, a layer of white puttu, a layer of pink puttu and then a layer of brown puttu. Ensure you separate each layer of puttu mixture with a layer of grated coconut.
- Steam the puttu: Once the steam starts rising from the whistle hole of the pressure cooker, place the puttu maker filled with the layered mixture. Cook for around 4 mins or until you see the steam rising out from the top of the puttu maker.
- Remove the puttu from the puttu maker and serve with a spicy curry.
- While mixing the puttu flour, make sure there are no lumps and that you have a nice crumbly texture through out the puttu.
- If you do not have freshly grated coconut, used desiccated coconut after soaking it in little warm water.
- To make beetroot juice, just boil beetroots and save the water.
- For gravy recipes, check out our Peas curry and Kadala Curry recipes.