Can eggs be vegetarian? Maybe not but scrambled eggs can be vegetarian. Egg-cited to find out more about what I am talking? Then read on and you will find out what I am talking about. This was a dish I had to make because I didn't really have many ingredients at home and this was the quickest dish that I could whip up in minutes for a quick dinner. You know what I mean!!
The best part about the dish is once you know what the secret ingredient is that replaces egg in the recipe, you can pretty much just use your favorite scrambled eggs recipe. You don't really need to stick to this one. Though this one is pretty much scrumptious too. Another advantage of this recipe is for those don't really like the egg-y smell of eggs, this is prefect for you guys! You will love it and even better you will get a soft fluffy scrambled eggs without any effort or additional ingredients like milk.
It looks like egg, feels like egg and tastes like scrambled egg (but creamier and lighter) but it a'int egg.. so perfect that it has fooled may a people who would be refused to eat the main ingredient it is made of at all till they tasted this!Ingredients:
1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 pack (396 gm) tofu, crumbled
1 green chili, slit and chopped
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Add onions to a non stick pan in which oil has been added. Saute the onions till they soften. Add the green chili, tomatoes and turmeric powder. Saute till the tomato juices evaporate.
- Now add the scrambled tofu and mix well to incorporate the turmeric color. Season with Salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then switch off the flame and sprinkle the coriander leaves and mix it well before serving.
- There are many varieties of tofu that you might find in your supermarket. This recipe works with any type as long as you can crumble it. So you don't have to go searching for firm tofu.
- You can add in (or) swap any veggies that you like in this recipe, go creative or follow your favorite scrambled egg recipe.
- Don't forget the step on adding turmeric powder. The turmeric powder is what transforms the white / cream tofu to the color of egg.
- I like to swap the coriander leaves with the spinach leaves at times and it tastes good.