On a trip to one of the Lebanese Canteens in Central London called Comptoir Libanais, we ordered the Mezze platter for starters. When the Mezze platter arrived, we were dancing in our hearts seeing the array of colorful food and the variety in front of us. One of the dishes on Mezze platter was a light stunningly refreshing salad. Refreshing is the best word for it. Its like one of those things you would crave for on a hot summer day and would just energize you and make you feel so fresh. A perfect lunch salad for a hot day.
Tabbouleh is very popular fresh Arabic and middle eastern salad dish that is really simple to make with ingredients at home. Its one of those salads that you just cant get wrong and you do not have to make a fancy salad dressing for it. Has always been a crowd-pleaser in the parties we have thrown.
1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, washed and chopped
1/4 cup Fresh Mint leaves, chopped fine
2 Spring Onions, chopped
Juice from 2 fresh Limes
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup Bulgur wheat
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
3 cups Water
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Cook the Bulgar Wheat: Rinse the Bulgur wheat in cold water then soak it in a bowl of hot water for 30 mins. Add enough water to cover the Bulgur wheat and fluff it with a fork once or twice in 10 minutes intervals.
- Mix it up: Mix the rest of the ingredients with the Bulgur wheat and serve chilled.
- Follow the instructions on the Bulgur wheat pack that you purchase for best results. The Bulgur wheat will absorb the water and soften. If there is any excess water, drain this out before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- It is absolutely important that you use parsley and not swap this with other leaves as parsley gives the dish its unique flavor.
- You can always Oomph up the taste by throwing in some pomegranate seeds just before you serve the dish.